Saturday, October 20, 2012

Acorns

So today the focus was on hide and hid. I have a paper squirrel and some acorns. I gave the squirrel and an acorn to a kiddo. Their job was to hide the acorn somewhere in the room (we did watch, that way we could answer the question).

Then I asked another kiddo "Where did Yousef  hide the squirrel?"

"Yousef hid the squirrel _________." Then it was their turn to hide a squirrel.
The past tense version needed lots of modeling.  The kiddos kept saying "hide" instead of "hid."

I must admit this lesson was hilarious!! The kids were laughing and having a wonderful time, way more than I thought they would!! My favorite was when E'Mani put the acorn in the oven, closed the door and turned the knobs to turn the oven on. Then Andrew went over turned the "oven off" and opened the door. "oh, its hot!" he said. What great spontaneous language!!

**Sorry no pictures from the lessons.

For math that day, we "gathered" nuts. I spread out the acorns and called one kiddo to "gather" acorns. I counted to 5 and let each kiddo gather as many acorns as they could. We counted the acorns and made a chart to see who gathered the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment