Friday, April 20, 2012

Conjunction: "And" Pronoun: "Everyone"

Sun Day!

For the spring unit, I decided to make each day about a different vocabulary word. Today, was sun day. Sadly, this lesson never got taught as our sun day got interrupted by a tornado drill! But, I thought I would post it anyway. I did get the "and" part of the lesson in later in the week using the smartboard.


Using clipart, I had pictures of different size suns: small (little), medium and large (big). I introduced these to the kiddos. Then I gave each student two suns of different sizes.

big sun

little sun

medium sun
T: What do you have?
S: I have a big sun and a small sun. (or just "big sun and small sun.")


">
I went around the table a few times to give students a few chances (this is where the tornado drill interrupted our lesson). Next, I planned on giving everyone the same size sun.
T: Who has a big sun?
S: Everyone has a big sun!
For my kiddos, at this point "everyone" is taking some explaining. I have been going around the table pointing to each person and showing that everyone has the same thing. Need a few more exposures!


I had also planned to take pictures of everyone holding the big sun, small sun and medium sun to use in a chart story the next day. So to make up for this lesson, I planned a smartboard activity to cover the "and" portion of the lesson. I have no idea how to upload it, so if you would like a copy of it, email me and I will send it to you!

Centers

We made yellow string suns- make a big circle with glue. Then put yellow string on for sun. Add smaller cut string for rays (I precut my string, but if your kiddos are ready they can do the cutting).

Paper plate suns- paint the paper plate yellow and add yellow crepe paper for sun rays.

No comments:

Post a Comment