Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Expressive Language: in and not in. Using the refrigerator

Refrigerator!

The students were struggling to remember the word "refrigerator," so we did a language lesson on one!

Expressive Langauge goals: in, not in
Receptive Language: Where questions

I found a picture of a fridge and cut it open. I glued it on paper, so the doors and freezer doors opened. Then I drew shelves inside the fridge and numbered the shelves. Then I found pictures from Google images for food that could be found in the fridge or not in the fridge. I printed a set for each student and cut out the pictures to glue in the refrigerator.

To open the lesson, we went on a search for  fridge  and a freezer. We talked about how the fridge feels (cold) and then we felt inside the freezer (it was really cold!). We also took the opportunity to talk about the microwave (the lounge had one). Back in the classroom we talked about the snacks that I keep in the drawer and how those snacks don't need to be in the fridge.

Back to the table we went to fill our fridge with pictures of yummy goodies!

T: (holding up the picture of milk) Is the milk in the fridge or not in the fridge?
S: The milk is in the fridge! (modifications: in the fridge or just fridge depending on language level) Glue the milk in the fridge.
T: Are the cookies in the fridge or not in the fridge?
S: The cookies are not in the fridge (modifications: not in the fridge or not fridge depending on language level) Glue the cookies outside of the fridge.


Contuine until all the pictures have been glued either in the fridge or not in the fridge.

Last we glued ice cream in the freezer! Yum!

**this would also be a good lesson for inside/outside or full/empty.  


I found the fridge picture here. I did enlarge the picture when I copied it.


I will try to upload the pictures I used. I saved the pictures in a word document and I am not sure how to do this. I will find out and post the pictures later!!

More pictures to color can be found at:
Another Fridge Picture

Centers

Poked a fridge picture with a golf tee

Dab paint fridge picture with dab markers

No comments:

Post a Comment