Friday, February 17, 2012

Expressive Language: prepositions using the couch!

Couch Day!

The vocabulary word for the day was couch. My students were struggling to remember this word, so I brought in my daughters Tinker Bell couch (thanks girls for the loan! I had to sneak it out, they get very concerned when I take their toys out of the house!!).

Language Targets:
Expressive Language: under, next to, on, and vocab word Couch. Review of he/she pronouns
Receptive Language: where and following simple directions.

I started off the lesson by reviewing the vocabulary pictures for the unit. Then I gave clues as to the vocabulary word we would be talking about today.
1) It is long. (take out all the pictures that are not long. I think we were left with the TV, fridge, bed and couch)
2: You can sit on it (take away the TV and the fridge)
3. It is found in the living room. (you should be left with the couch now)
T: That's right! Today we will be talking about the couch (at this point I brought out the real couch).
I then modeled sitting on the couch, sitting next to the couch and sitting under the couch (they thought the under the couch was super funny! I put the couch ontop of me and they just laughed!!)

Next, I set the students on the floor and called each one up one at a time. Give each student a directions.

T: Adam, sit on the couch. (ask another student) Where is he?
S: He is on the couch!

*make sure to go through all the prepositions: under, next to, on

I took pictures of each student. Go through your group giving each student as many turns as possible.
At the end of the lesson I asked each student to get in the couch (my couch folded out and had a blanket zipped to it) What fun they all had!!


No comments:

Post a Comment