Wednesday, March 14, 2012

action + recipient: with a....

Baking!!

The kiddos in my classroom love to bake and so do I! It makes for great language lessons. There were a handful of vocabulary words that the kids were struggling with so, each day we focused on a new word. The language targets were the same for each so I will only write the lesson once here for you!

We made orange juice, toast, oatmeal, blueberry muffins (two Jiffy boxes worked well), chocolate chip pancakes, and green waffles in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday (we read Green Eggs and Ham first, but I didn't want to tackle that breakfast! So we made green waffles instead!)

 Language Targets
Expressive Language: with, stir, scoop, pour, flip, spread
Receptive Language: What questions

When cooking I love to sabotage the lesson and make the kiddos tell me what to do. I will hold up the box and ask "What do I do?" Then I will put the box in the bowl. Trying to get the kids to use their words to tell me what to do.

S: Open the box.
T: What will I open the box with? (here I had to give examples, Do I open the box with my teeth? With my feet? No!!)
S: With your hands.



I did this for each step of the cooking process.
Examples: scoop with a spoon, measure with a cup, stir with a spoon. The possibilities are endless.



Flip with a spatula.

I also used these lessons to reinforce full vs. empty.
The pitcher is empty.
The muffin tin is empty.

The muffin tin is full.


Again the possibilities are endless.
Happy Baking!

At the end of each lesson, I put the pictures together in a book. I used the same language targets from the lessons in the books. The kids LOVE  to look at the books and see the pictures of themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment