Monday, March 5, 2012

Noun Modifiers: Full or Empty?

For the food unit, I decided to focus on full vs. empty and with (manner). The students  are also reviewing pronouns (he, she, I, and my) and prepositions (in, on, under, next to).  This lesson focuses on full vs. empty.

Language targets
Expressive Language: full, empty
Receptive Language: Is questions

Materials needed: bowl, cup, bag, box and items to fill each. I used water, blocks, candy, cereal, and teddy bear counters. Feel free to use whatever you have on hand to fill the items!

Started the lesson by talking about what is full and what is empty. Holding up the cereal box (which was full)I opened the box and told the students the box is full. Then pulling out the bag, now the box is empty! Then going around the table with one of the items (bowl, cup, box, bag or plate) ask the students the prompt question.
T: Is the bowl full or empty?
S:The bowl is empty.
(then I filled the bowl)
T: How about now, is the bowl full or empty/
S: The bowl is full!

Once the students are familiar with the concept, I gave the students two (a bag and a bowl. One empty, one full)
T:Which one is full?
S: The bag is full.





The homework assignment for the day was to draw a plate that was full and empty. Label each.

No comments:

Post a Comment