Thursday, March 22, 2012

Using "and"

Using "and"

The kiddos have been starting to use longer sentences in my room! Yeah! I have noticed that the important word "and" is being dropped from their sentences. They like to say E'Mani Andrew, instead of E'Mani and Andrew! So off for another language lesson!!


Using the zoo animals that we have been talking about we introduced the concept of "and"


Language Targets:
Expressive Language: and, that (review)
Receptive Language: What questions


Materials needed: plastic zoo animals and a coloring page with many zoo animals on the page.


To start the lesson we reviewed the vocabulary cards with the language target "That is a___________."
Next I pulled out 2 animals from my guess bag and showed the students.
T: What do I have?
S: lion, tiger
T: I have a lion and a tiger.  When I have 2 animals I have to say "and."
Model a few more times then let the students pick 2 animals.
T: What do you have?
S: I have a lion and a tiger. (I except just "lion and tiger" from my students who are at an early language development. Then I model the entire sentence for the students so they can hear it again).
Repeat this process a couple of times for each student.

Next, have a sheet of paper copied with zoo animals. Give each student a paper and  a set of crayons.
T: Color the giraffe and the elephant purple. What animals did you color purple?
S: I colored the giraffe and elephant purple. (Again, just "giraffe and elephant" is OK for the students at that level.)


No comments:

Post a Comment