Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pronoun: everyone

Buzzzzzz, said the Bee!

Today was all about the Bee. We made one of my favorite crafts, a paper plate bumble bee. I think its the wax paper wings. I just love how real they look!

Language goals
Expressive language: everyone
Receptive Language: who questions, following directions

Materials
yellow paint
black paint
paper plate for each kiddo
paint brushes
oval heads cut from yellow paper
black stingers
2 wax paper wings per kiddo
google eyes (optional. We just drew the eyes on the head)

I held out the yellow and black paint, asking what colors I had (I was hoping to hear "and" spontaneously and I am happy to report I got it!) Then I set out a few pictures from the tall, tall grass story. 
T: Hmmm...what do you think we will make today? It has to be black AND yellow because that is the paint I have. Do you see an animal that is black and yellow?
S: the bee!
T: Yes, we will make a bee today!!

T: To start everyone will need a paper plate. Who needs a paper plate? (I was hoping for everyone, instead I got 6 hands in the air and chorus of "I do!" great use of the pronoun I though!)
So I went around naming each child and saying "Andrew needs a plate, E'Mani needs a plate, etc. So, who needs a plate?
S: Everyone!
Pass out plates!
I repeated this process for each part of the bee. (Who is painting the bee yellow? Everyone!)


 
**Steps for making bee**
1. Pass out paper plates (write names on back, I know I always forget and remember half way through!!)
2. Paint bee yellow.
3. Paint black stripes on bee. 
4. While bee is wet, add head (draw eyes first), stinger and wings last (I really do love the way the bee wings look!)
5. Let dry! 

Centers
Paper plate frogs- fold paper plate in half (you can use large plates or small plates doesn't really matter. The cheap ones work great!) Color outside green. Add cotton ball eyes (color a black dot for the pupil), glue long red tongue inside the plate.


Smartboard- I made a really fun activity practicing everyone with the smartboard. I used vocab pictures from the unit in the lesson and the kiddos pictures. The students had to drag a picture to everyone on the page. 

**I have no clue how to upload a smartboard lesson, is it the same as a document?? If you have a smartboard and would like the lesson, I am more than happy to email it to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment