Thursday, January 26, 2012

Hot vs. Cold

Language Goals
Expressive Language: hot, cold, that
Receptive Language: Is questions

Have an example of something that is hot and something that is cold. I used a mug of warm water and and ice pack. Pass each around and discuss how each one feels when touched. 

Next, sort items into either the hot pile or the cold pile. Have students draw a picture and ask them:
T: Is the ____________ hot or cold? (Can say Is that hot or cold? depending on your targets)
S: The ______________ is hot. 
Continue around the group until all the pictures have been sorted. 

I used the pictures from a file folder game found at filefolderfun.com
It can be found here Hot vs. Cold

Last, make ice cubes. I took my students down to the freezer for this part of the lesson. Everyone had a chance to feel the inside of the freezer and we talked about how it felt. Then I poured the water into the ice cube tray and we talked about what might happen to the water if I put it in the freezer. I also covered the ice cube tray with cling wrap and poked toothpicks in to make "Popsicles" for the next day.

Centers
Using eye droppers, have the students fill an ice cube tray (great fine motor!!)

We also made marshmallow snowmen. I drew 3 circles onto a piece of blue paper (I used the circle cutters from Creative Memories to trace). Then the students glued mini marshmallows on the lines to make a snowman. We added arms, a face and buttons too! Super cute. 


No comments:

Post a Comment