Monday, January 9, 2012

Introduction to Winter Theme

Today, the winter theme was introduced. I read a short story called "I Can See Winter." I wrote the book using power point and pictures I found on Flickr (I used the creative commons licensing search). When I have time to go back and find the photographers to give credit, I will post the book for you to use as well. After reading the book, I introduced the vocabulary for the unit (again, I used the same pictures from the book.) The words for the unit were: sled, shovel, ice cube, icicles, snowflake, winter, snowman, penguin, polar bear, and hot chocolate. 

To finish the lesson, the students colored a winter scene picture. I allow the students to color the pictures any color they choose. So we had some pink trees and snow, but they looked great! Then we painted the pictures with snow paint. 

Language targets for lesson:
Recpetive Language: who and what questions
Expressive Language: pronouns: I and he/she
verbs: pour and stir

Mixing the ingredients were part of the language lesson.
T: Who will pour the salt in the bowl?
(each student of course raised their hands!) I called on a student
S: I will pour the salt. 
Repeat till each ingredient is poured.
Each student was given a chance to stir as well.
T: Who will stir the paint?
S: I will stir the paint.
T: (ask one student) What is he/she stirring (point to the student in question)?
S: He/She is stirring the paint.

Once the paint is ready, give each student some paint and brush and let them go! Explain that when the paint dries is when they will see the snow. The pictures turned out great and snowy!!


Mix the following ingredients together to make the snow paint
1 cup salt
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup water



We also did some winter centers today. 

The kids made winter trees from their arm/hand prints. Trace the child's arm and hand on brown paper. Cut out and glue on blue paper. Add cotton balls to the fingers to represent snow! 





Read winter books.


Dressed a bear in winter clothing.

Winter vocabulary memory/match game. 



No comments:

Post a Comment