Monday, January 23, 2012

Polar Bear Day!

The word for today was polar bear.

Language goals:
Expressive Language: same, different.

Using magnifying glasses, the kids went on a polar bear hunt. I started by selecting a few pairs and giving one set to a student. Using the magnifying glass to look at the small picture ask the students
T: Are the polar bears the same or different?
S: The polar bears are the same.
 


I also set out a row of big polar bear pictures and gave each student a small picture that matched one of the big picture. The students had to match the small picture to the big picture.

Next, I placed the big polar bear pictures around the room and the students had to go on a polar bear hunt to find the matching picture.

Last, I gave two pictures to the student (sometimes the same, sometimes different) and asked each student
T: Are the polar bears the same or different?
S: The polar bears are different.

The kids really enjoyed this activity! I wish I had thought of it. Here is the website where I got the pictures.

Polar Bear Centers

The kids made a rainbow polar bear. Great for cutting skills.

Cotton Ball Polar Bear (I forgot the cotton balls that day, so like me, so instead we used ripped paper. A great fine motor skill!!)




 
Circle Polar Bears (I didn't have a chance to do this one, the circles were a bit to much for my group this year). 




No comments:

Post a Comment