Wednesday, January 18, 2012

So, I noticed I am a little behind! Life has a way of doing that to me. Well here are a few more activities from this past week!

Winter theme, Day 2

Word for the day was SNOWFLAKE.
Language target: expressive language: pronouns he and she
Reviewed verbs stir and roll.
Receptive Language: understand what and who questions

We made snowdough.
Each student was allowed to pour an indgerendint into the bowl. While that student was pouring I would ask another student
T:What is he pouring?
S: He is pouring the water.
Next each student was given a turn to mix the dough as it cooked.
Again I asked
T: What is she stirring?
S:She is stirring the dough.

We also talked about "hot" at this point (I plan on addressing hot vs cold later in the unit, so I figured I would take this teachable moment and run with it). We felt the steam coming out of the pot and talked about how it felt hot. Always stressing to be careful.

We had to wait for the dough to cool to make the snowflakes, but when we did  the process was the same.
T: What is he rolling?
S: He is rolling the dough.
Giving each student a turn or two to answer a question.
The snowflakes turned out great! It took 36 hours to dry but then we had to flip the snowflakes to dry the back side. That took another day.
 

SnowDough Recipe
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup water
2 cups kosher salt
1 cup corn starch

Mix 11/3 cup water with salt. Bring to a boil. Simmer for serveral minutes and stir frequently.

Mix 1/2 cup water and corn starch together then add to salt water. Mix well then let cool.

Can add glitter for extra sparkle. Store in air tight container. When left out dough will harden in 36 hours. 


Centers for the Day

The kids made a foil snowflake. So cute! I pulled this off the web somewhere, but I can't remember. My guess is pintrest (yes I got sucked in). I drew an outline for a basic snowflake. Then the kids ripped foil into strips and bunched it together. Then glued the foil on the lines. I just love how the snowflakes turned out!


Used the do-a-dot dabbers to dab a snowflake. I took one from Scholastics biggie pattern book (Holiday and Season edition).

Using the same pattern the kids "poke" the snowflake with a golf tee. I tape the snowflake to a piece of construction paper and when the kids are done poking the shape comes through on the construction paper. Very neat and the kids love to "reveal" their creations!

I put mini "snowballs" (aka marshmallows) in the rice boxes and the kids have to sort them out using tongs. 


Played with marshmallows and spaghetti. The kids can "build" with them. I don't have a sensory table, but if you do that is great place to put this center. I have mine in Tupperware and it words OK too. Stress that these marshmallows are not for eating (yes, that means I had a few who tried to eath the marshmallows)!!












No comments:

Post a Comment